Thursday, September 5, 2013

23 Days To Go

Time goes by so, so quickly! There are only 23 more days until the Bellingham Bay Half Marathon or if you think about it like I do, 2 more long training runs and a taper week. I felt like this was a good time to update you all on my training progress. I have been running around 20-30 miles per week with one long run on Wednesdays. I have been adding on between 1-2 miles to my long run each week and Wednesday before last I was up to 10.3 miles. Not quite half marathon distance but I was feeling a little more confident! Yesterday was a little bit of a setback. I had been suffering from Illiotibial Band Syndrome , or IT band syndrome, for a few days and should have known better than to go for a long run. If you are lucky enough never have experienced this it is a very irritating and painful injury and is really good at halting your training run efforts. Because of this my long run yesterday only amounted to (a very uncomfortable and at the end downright painful) 8.25 miles. I should have rested but I am not always good at doing what I should do. I paid for it with an evening of excruciating pain any time I had to walk (hobble) anywhere in my house. Fortunately I have very understanding and supportive guys in my house. Bryce did the laundry for me so I didn't have to go up and down the stairs and Trav helped me massage out some of the tension that had built up in my leg and hip. I am lucky to have them! Today after using the foam roller to massage it and stretching it as much as possible I am feeling almost normal...will definitely be taking at least another day off to help it heal properly!


During my last long run (not yesterday's catastrophe) I was thinking about how training for a half marathon is so much more than just physical training. The mental training is just as important and on race day might prove to be even more important than the strength and endurance of my body. During every run, and numerous times during my long runs, I start to question what I have gotten myself into. Why am I out here exhausted, aching, sweaty, hot and thirsty but still running? This is when my mental strength gets a workout. This is where I remind myself what I am doing and why. For me Running For Tish is all about living life to the fullest, pushing myself to the limit and feeling alive. Tish taught me how precious life is and how short it can be. She taught me to keep my loved ones close and remind them how special and important they are to me. She also taught me to keep going, push forward and just keep running. I believe that it would be hard to find a moment that you feel more alive than you do at about 7 miles into a long run. Your sweating, aching body is questioning your sanity and wondering if you are serious about running "a few more miles". You feel every breeze and smell the world around you with intensity. This is usually wonderful as the most common smells during my runs are the ocean or the rain (I do love the northwest). Occasionally this can be not so wonderful like when you run by a group of smokers or have a giant truck drive past leaving behind a not so awesome trail of exhaust. It is a good feeling to know that you can (and will) keep running. The best part of any run is finishing. The sense accomplishment (paired with all of those endorphins you released) is a very wonderful thing and is often the drive to keep running or to get out there the next day and do it all over again! If you just keep going you will make it to the end of your run and enjoy your own little celebration of accomplishment. Often on long runs Dory from Finding Nemo pops into my head and repeats "just keep swimming, just keep swimming", I don't know why but it seems appropriate and motivating while I am struggling through the longer runs.


One other thing that I would like to mention is that two of my very favorite ladies have signed up and are training for the Bellingham Bay 5k. Jo who would be my Aunt in law and Kristy who would be my sister in law if of course Trav and I were married. That is a whole different story and all that matters is that they are family and I love my family! It will be Kristy's first 5k ever and I am very excited for her! I was lucky enough to run Jo's first 5k with her a couple years ago and am super excited that she is making a running comeback!! They have been running and training and are going to rock the 5k! Bryce will be running with them as well. He is very excited! I am proud to add them to the Running For Tish roster!

Jo (left) and Kristy (right) 

Jo and I after her first 5k in 2010

Bryce after finishing a run

5 comments:

  1. Love you Sachi! Thanks for all of your amazing support. You're an absolute inspiration!! I am sure Tish is so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Sachi! You are the best I am so excited to be running with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO proud of both of you! I know Tish would be so happy to know that she was behind such awesome positive changes. You guys are amazing and have come so far in your running and your health :) I'm excited for race day to show up and to spend it with you!! Love you both so much!!

    ReplyDelete