Thursday, May 16, 2013

Running For Tish




Tish Hurst was wonderful mother of three beautiful young girls, a cherished daughter, a very loved little sister and a great friend to so many people who loved her very much. Tish was an amazing woman with strength that was inspiring. She was diagnosed with stage 3 triple negative breast cancer in 2011. Less than a year later it had spread to her lungs. We as a family came together with such hope and love that it seemed pretty impossible for her to not survive. We joined the Whatcom County Relay For Life and created the team We Fight Cancer Together or WFCT. On July 13, 2012 our team walked all night long and raised over $10,000. After Relay For Life Tish continued to fight her cancer but it was just to aggressive. Despite all of the Chemotherapy and other available treatments her cancer continued to grow and spread. When she ran out of other options she participated in a clinical trial. We never lost hope. She was such a big part of our family. She was so important to us, there was no way we could lose her. In April 2013 it became apparent that the clinical trial was not working. Instead of shrinking her tumors were growing and spreading. Because of this she could no longer be a participant in the clinical trial. Despite all of this she planned a family Disneyland trip. Like I said, she was pretty amazing. 



Right before this trip her tumors were making it difficult for her to breathe. She had to bring oxygen tanks with her to help everywhere she went. This didn't stop her from enjoying her vacation. She created moments and memories that we will cherish forever. Soon after returning from this trip her breathing became more difficult and soon she was in a hospice. We lost her on May 3, 2013. We will miss her forever. We hurt because there is a hole in our family. We will keep her in our hearts and remember her forever.



In February I ran my first half marathon. Tish commented on one of my Facebook posts. I recently started really thinking about what she had said.



My first thought after reading her comment was -what a great idea. I already run and I want to raise money to help find a cure for cancer. My second thought was- I have no idea how to make that work. Almost three months have gone by and I keep coming back to that comment. So I have decided to try and make that work for her.


Over the past few months when I was running and was tired, out of breath and wanting to quit, I thought of Tish. She has inspired me to be better, to enjoy my ability to be exhausted and to enjoy every moment no matter what. When I feel like quitting I tell myself that I am lucky, that I am fortunate enough to be able to suffer through a difficult run. After a while it became more of a way of thinking rather than something that I only thought of when I was struggling. Running for her became something I do. It became normal to say to myself this one is for Tish as I began a run. Since she has passed away I feel even stronger about the importance of appreciating every moment. You do not know how many moments you have so to waste a single one is unacceptable.


After giving this running for donations idea some time to roll around in my head this is what I came up with.


I am asking you, all of you, to support this cause that is so important to me. I am asking you for a donation to go towards finding a cure. A cure that will ensure that no one has to go through the horrible, toxic treatments that are currently used. A cure that will save our loved ones so that no one will have to go through the loss of someone to cancer ever again. Here is what I am offering for your donation. If I raise two hundred dollars I will sign up for a half marathon. Now you might be thinking, she runs all the time, that's nothing. I do run all the time...not 13.1 miles though. Despite having conquered my first half marathon it is still an intimidating beast to me. So this is what I will do. As donations come in (if they do *fingers crossed*) I will start training. You can see my donation progress here. If I reach $200 I will sign up for a half marathon and post about it in here. I will then sign up for another half marathon after another $200 is donated, and then another after an additional $200. To be clear I will sign up for my first half marathon after $200 is donated a second half marathon after $400 is donated and a third on after $600. If I make it to six hundred dollars in donations I will sign up for another for every additional $300 donated. If you guys go crazy with donations *fingers crossed* I may have to put a cap on how many races I will complete...like I said 13.1 miles is a giant scary intimidating beast! So come on people...make me run!! 



Please donate for my family and for yours!


This picture was taken the very last time I got to visit with Tish.



Donations can be made here~ Relay For Life

Just click on the "donate now" button and enter your info.
Donations are tax deductible!

If you are wondering what happens to the money donated here are some answers for you. Why We Fundraise





No comments:

Post a Comment